Saturday 27 February 2010

Sweet as bro

After a week of living my life on the road with hardly any reach of internet and mobile I made it to Queenstown. Queenstown, in the south of the South Island of New Zealand is known for the spot celebrity's like Brad Pitt go to in july or august to ski.
It's a nice town at the lake Wakatipu between stunning mountains. But before I tell you more about Queenstown, let me tell you what I've done before arriving here.
After Rotorua (bubbling mud) we stopped at a town called: Waitomo. Waitomo is known for it's Glow worm Caves.
The caves itself weren't reallyt spectacular, I would even say the Caves of Hannes in Belgium or more beautiful. But the actual part where you see the Glow worms is pretty cool. It looks like stars at the ceiling.
After our 'cave-stop' we drove to Taupo to spend the night.
Taupo has a lake that is bigger than Singapore! It was stunning to see the sun set.
After Taupo we drove to Wellington which is in the south of the North Island. I stayed at a friends place and it was nice to catch up.
Wellington is an artsy town with a harbour and very windy.
In the morning I took the ferry to Picton where a new Magicbus driver was gonna pick us up to drive to Nelson.
Before arriving in Nelson we stopped at Marlborough Sounds. No, not the sigarette brand but a winery where I get to taste some white wines they produce.
In Nelson you can go to the famous national park: Abel Tasman. Unfortunately I had no time to stay in Nelson so the next day I got on the bus again to see the Punakaiki Pancake Rocks and end up in Greymouth.
But before arriving in Greymoutn our bus broke down. That day there were at least 60% Dutch people on board.
Now, I don't have anything against Dutchies but if there is more than 2 and a bus broke down, you can imangine they all start to sing Holland songs about busses and stuff. Ugh... Glad I got to Greymouth :)
After a short night in Greymouth we drove on to Franz Josef. An alpine village with glaciers and snowy mountain tops.
I signed up for a heli-hike, a helicopter flight to the top of the mountain to walk one of the glaciers.
Unfortunately it started raining pretty bad and the heli flight was cancelled. Instead I joined the rest of the group to do a half day hike on the glaciers.
It was cool to walk the ice in boots with cramptons but it never stopped raining so at the end of the day I was soaking wet. Even my underwear and my camera were wet.
Luckily I could revive my camera thank to a blowdryer. n
Nevertheless, walking on ice was fun!
After a bad sleep (all wet clothes in the room = wet moisty air) we got up early to end the day in Queenstown where I arrived last night.
Before arriving here we stopped at Lake Matheson, better known as 'Mirror lake'and a short stop in beautiful Wanaka, with a lake that looks like a blue ocean.
And yesterday: I arrived in Queenstown. A 'city' in New Zealand terms. Queenstown looks a bit like a little ski village in Austria but feels a bit like Spain. Nice restaurants, shops and bars. Lots of bars, makes me think of Lloret de mar a little with all the English people here getting drunk as fast as they can.
Tomorrow I'll go to Milford Sound. Described as the 8th wonder in the world...

As you can see I'm having a great time and I'm seeing so many beautiful things. To much to put down in words. So I'm gonna post some pictures on my facebook soon. A picture can tell more than a thousand words right ;)

PS: 'Sweet as' is a term all New Zealand people use. You could translate is as: 'No problem' or 'No worries'

No comments:

Post a Comment