Monday 1 February 2010

Back to school

The summer holiday for the students is over. Today is the first day of the new schoolyear in Australia.
Schoolyears here are from February 1st till the end of November with a small break in July-August (like we have around Christmas)
But, no school for me, nor work :)

Yesterday I moved into my new hostel. The YHA Harbour Hostel. So much better. It's clean and modern.
http://www.yha.com.au
I had one roommate, a girl named Joseline from the Phillipines. But she moved out this morning to go back to New Zealand. Just before I left two new girls from Canada moved in. All very nice people.


I forgot the sun here is soooo strong. My legs got burned really bad from only 15 minutes... I look like one of those white & red candy sticks :)
But I love the sun, the summer, the outside life. The only thing is, my hair... It gets so frizzy that I had to buy a hair straightener so I don't scare peoply with my 'Jacksons 5' hairdo. One other thing I miss is my moose...

I have lost some weight. I try to eat a lot with breakfast, and a snack (usually sushi) in the late afternoon. No dinners so far. But tonight I will have my first dinner since I'm in Australia. At the hostel they are making Pad Thai on the rooftop. A girl from the Thailand staff is cooking it and we get to learn how to make it too.
(Quite a challenge for me)  Meanwhile, I can get to know some new peoples as well.

So, my friends, next time I see you, I might try and cook you some  Pad Thai :)

2 comments:

  1. hey schatje
    ben blij dat je nieuw hotel veel beter en properder is. hier was het geen hot sunshine but snow - maar allé vandaag schijnt het zonneke (winterzonneke) en hopelijk blijft de sneeuw nu weg - gaat nog wel koud worden - hoop dat je het verder nog goed gaat hebben en stuur je dikke knuffels en kusjes - mamsie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dag mamsie,
    Hier is het super...Ik denk dat mijn broer hier zijnen draai ook wel zou vinden. Maar das niks he, dan pak je gewoon een Frequent Flyer kaart van Qantas he ;)
    xxx
    uw dochterke

    ReplyDelete