Thursday 4 February 2010

Celebrating a Canadian's 21st

Today is my last day at the YHA harbour. Too bad I can't stay here, since it's a really nice hostel in a great area.
This morning I did some laundry (I've been here for a week now) Hopefully my clothes will be dry in the morning when I pack to go to YHA Central.

I bought an internet key modem today for my laptop. Much easier to get online wherever I am (at least in the city's not in the outback)  than to wander to Mc Donalds (with very slow internet) or pay way too much in the hostels (wifi = 15$/day!)
The modem cost me 79$ and it comes with a prepaid card. I pay 29$ a month for 2 Gb.
Apparentely it comes with a free mailbox: tania.hendrickx@three.com.au :) Like I haven't got enough mailboxes already. Haha.

Yesterday, it was the birthday of one of the two Canadian girls in my room, Sarah. She turned 21. Still so young :)
She and her friend Jess have been travelling Australia for 3 months now. They told me it  was the best time ever and they are sad to go.
Tomorrow they will leave for Asia, visiting Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia... And after those two months they come to Europe for another 3 months.
They asked me if I wanted to come along to celebrate her birthday.
Of course! Along with us came a German girl, another Canadian girl I've met here and an English guy.
Before we left we played this drinking game called 'kings' You take a deck of cards & every card has a meaning and whatever it is, you are supposed to drink. :)
We all got a little tipsy and had heaps of fun. Good thing about this was we didn't had to buy many drinks afterwards in the bar we went to.
Alcohol is sooo expensive in Australia. It's because of the taxes here. A beer easily costs 5$ or more.
Anyway, we had a fun night and I told Sarah and Jess that if they would be in Belgium when I'm back in Belgium they are welcome to stay in Maarksem :)

The cool thing is, everyone here has a story. A different reason why they are travelling, what they left behind, what their plans are.
Speaking about plans, I'm looking into flights to New Zealand. Everyone who has been there says it is breathtaking. They say: Australia is beautiful but New Zealand is even more beautiful and laid back.
So I'm gonna book another week in Sydney and then, hopefully, i'm off to the land of the kiwi's :)

Tomorrow there is a BBQ on Bronte beach that i'm supposed to go to. But since there has been rain now and then I don't know if it's gonna happen.
And next week on my schedule: Bondi beach, Blue mountains (2 hours away from Sydney but beautiful), Manly beach, maybe a visit to Taronga zoo... Still lots to do!

And to you back home: keep warm!

x
Tania

3 comments:

  1. alleen maar good news - good to hear - hier is alles ok ben al een beetje aan 't stressen voor de komende verhuis - maar allé ge kent de mama hé van een mug een olifant maken - niet goed voor mijne tikker - ga maar gerust naar New-Zeeland dan hebt ge dat ook in uw boekske staan hé - allé schatje nog heel veel plezier - dikke knuffels uw mamaatje

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey schatje gisteren mijn verjaardagskaartje al gekregen - mooi hoor heel mooi bedankt hoor schatje - dikke knuffels en kusjes van een mamaatje die u mist - en ook van Ibo

    ReplyDelete