Friday 9 January 2009

Ni hao ma :)

Today again a lesson in life.
Everyone knows what a minority group is, everyone knows that skin colours may vary, everyone knows that every race is different.
But knowing, or actually experiencing it is totally different.

Today I explored a bit of Singapore, two parts: Chinatown and Little India.
To get there I had to take the train (3 trains to be precise)
On the first train, I got to experience what it must feel like to be different.
I was the only 'caucation' person there. Everywhere I looked I saw asian men and women and also indian men and women.
And even though not everyone looks @ you, you feel stared at. You feel like they look at you, judging you. What you wear, how your hair is.

It's an awkward feeling.
You see, I always try to blend in in the city's I visit. But here I just couldn't and that only because I look different.

Don't get me wrong, nobody harrased me, everyone was helpful when i asked something. It's just the feeling of people looking at you. And they may even just be looking and not judging, but you can feel it, or at least you think they are looking.
I'm not a racist at all, those who know me, know how angry I can get when people are not given a chance & are judged only by their skin colour.
Today made me realise it even more, that we all are just people, living on the same planet trying to follow our own values and believes in life.
So far my life lesson today.

Now a little lighter stuff:
My first visit to the public toilet. I'm not gonna describe it, just look at the picture:


Haha, it wasn't that bad really. TBH I kinda like toilets like these, you never have to sit on a peed-on toiletseat :)
And apparently it's only the last two toilets in the public places that are like this :)

Chinatown was fun, bit tacky with all the red and gold :)
and little India was... interesting. People sitting on the street with tv's and other stuff to sell. It's different...

Anyway, gonna get ready cause we (Juana and me) are going out to have dinner with some other couchsurfers in Little India and after that we go clubbing cause apparently Armin Van Buuren is performing...

Later,
Tania
x

No comments:

Post a Comment