Tuesday 30 December 2008

under the sea....

The day before New Years eve and also our last day as a group.
Most of the contiki's will leave us tomorrow afternoon while 9 or 10 go upto the rainforest and celebrate new years eve there.
I'm in the last bunch.
We're all sad that it's almost over. All of us do think this was one of the best trips ever. I made some great new friends, created new memories, and got to do a lot of my todo list (aka the bucket list)

One of those things was to go scuba diving. And where better to go than the Great Barrier Reef, one of the wonders of this planet....

After skydiving yesterday I went scubadiving today. It's all about going down, down unda' :)
We got onto a boat that took us to a spot in the middle of the reef. You could see all the different shades of blue in the ocean.
After signing a paper that states you understand the risk of scubadiving we got to put on our wetsuit and gear. The instructors explained what was going to happen. We would go under water, hold on to a bar a breath slowly. Then we got to a rope which took us deeper and deeper under the sea. I felt the pressure on my ears and gave the signal to my instructor who made it clear I had to sqeeuze my nose and blow slowly to let the pressure out a little. It worked but still it felt weird.

I always thought I would struggle more with the breathing than the pressure but breathing was rather easy.
In the beginning you do have to think about breathing, but once you get to the reefs and see how beautiful they are, you start to breathe automaticly.

I have to say, seeing all the reefs and fishes was one of the most beautiful things i've ever seen. It really is a whole new world out there. The fishes just swim around you, they mind their own business and don't really care about us crazy bubble blowing divers. It was so amazing. Kinda felt like I was sitting in a big tropical fishtank :)

I held a seacucumber (photo) that looked like a carrot but felt mushy.
We saw this big oyster like shell, our instructor took our hand and put it in. It felt soft and mushy and closed when we touched it.
Most of our group saw a seaturtle as well, I didn't.. Too bad. But it was wonderfull anyway.

This really was one of the most amazing things I ever experienced....

Anyway, I got to go, we're going to the woolshed, a spectacular bar where they dance on tables...

x,

mermaid tania

1 comment:

  1. amaai schatje wat een reis - wat een belevenis allemaal - met één zo een reis kom je jaren toe aan belevenissen - inderdaad spijtig dat de tour bijna gedaan is - maar weet je deze indrukken van een andere wereld kunnen ze toch niet meer afpakken - veel plezier nog op oudejaarsavond en alvast prettig nieuwjaar - dikke knuffels mamsie

    ReplyDelete