Saturday 20 December 2008

To surf, to feed a kangaroo or to cuddle a koala? What the heck, I did it all :)

Yesterday we were at Coffs Harbour @ a surfcamp. To put it in Ozzie words!: It was AWESOME.
Coffs harbour is this little beachtown between Sydney and Brisbane where not many foreigners go to, but it's a place where the ozzies go to.
A little outside of Coffs harbour was a surfcamp. And when I say camp, I mean actual bunkers, like these 'containers' that they have on boats to ship banana's. That's where we slept.
We got there in the afternoon, dropped of our luggage in our 'condo's', got into our wet suits and grapped a surf board.
Our teacher was a real surf ozzie boy, and he was GORGEOUS. I'm not even exagerating when I say he looked like Matthew McConaughy. He could have been his younger brother.
The girls got the surflesson from this hottie and the guys got this tanned blondie.
The lesson took about 25 min. It was fun. After being explained how to peddle and get up on our surfboard we were about to get into the ocean with our instructors.
I think it took me only 3 times before I could actually stand up!
So yes, I did surf you guys!! And for those who don't believe me, I have proof, there was a guy form the 'mojosurf' camp taking pictures which you could get if you bought a t-shirt. I needed my proof right? :)
After spending 1,5 hours in the water we got to shower off the salt and had a great dinner. Fresh fish with fries and veggies. Delicious...
After dinner we put up a bonfire and one of the guys got out his guitar and sang some songs by the fire.
It felt like I was on another planet. A great planet where I could stay forever.
And many people actually do stay here for a while. A lot of backpackers go there for a day or two and then decide they wanna stay. There were some people from holland, america, ireland... Al staying there and working to get their stay for free. They cook or do dishes and in there free time they surf of course!

Today we made a stop at byron bay beach where we chilled for two hours and then drove up to a wildlife sanctuary where I handfed kangaroo's and cuddled a koala.
Again: AWESOME!

While I'm rereading all of this I realise how lucky I actually am to experience all this.
I really love it down unda' and I know now I will be back after this holiday (that is after I paid off my creditcard....)
Oh yeah, the people on tour are great so far. And, I'm not the oldest :)

Well, mates, catch ya' later!!!

Surfgirl & koala-lover Tania

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tania, I have just come across your blog and have enjoyed reading about your experience "learning to surf" in Australia. I was wanting to know if I could post your story on my website www.oceanfetch.com I would love it, if you could contact me http://www.oceanfetch.com/contact-us (I would post my email here except I don't like the idea of spam robots crawling the internet collecting emails, if you get my meaning.)

    Hope to hear from you.

    jo :)

    ReplyDelete