Wednesday 28 April 2010

ANZAC day and more

Last Sunday was ANZAC day.
ANZAC is an acronym for ‘Australian and New Zealand Army Corps’.

This name came about when Australia and New Zealand joined forces to enter into World War One.
The ANZAC’s landed on the Gallipoli Beach in Turkey on the 25th of April 1915 (hence why ANZAC Day is on that date).

ANZAC Day now incorporates all Australian men and women that have fought in times of war. That being the Boer, Vietnam, Borneo, Iraq and Afghanistan Wars to name a few.  It is a day when every Australian celebrates and remembers the men and women who have done so much for Australia.

On the ANZAC Day itself, all around Australia people gather for the marches in the streets with past and present soldiers and dawn services in such squares as Brisbane’s ANZAC Square.
It was an honour to experience this day in Australia.

What else have I been doing? I took a free walking tour and learned even more history about Brisbane and Australia. Apparently, about 40.000 years ago,  carnivore kangaroos about 3 metres tall were living in Australia. Glad they have been extinged. Australia has enough dangerous wildlife as it is.
The most venomous snakes and spiders are found in the land Down Under. But as you can see, I travelled all around Oz and I'm still alive. :)

I've also been to the biggest man made beach in Queensland, which is right here in the city. It's a true lagoon, white sand, and crystal clear water with a view over the Brisbane skyline. *Sigh* If we only had something like this in Belgium!
And the bes thing about it: it's free. Yep, FREE...  A  lot of things in Australia are free. Toilets, for example, you never have to pay for a public toilet! Saved me a lot of money ;)
Or in every big city there is a free bus that loops around from 7am-6pm.
Water! Everywhere you go you can find free drinkable watertaps to refill  your bottle, also in bars & restaurants the water is free.
In most parks you can find gasBBQ's free of use.
And of course, you can see so  many sunrises and sunsets for free, along with the friendly smiles of the Aussies...

My feelings right now are bittersweet.
Sweet because of all the amazing things I've seen, done, experienced,...
Bitter because in exactly 3 weeks I have to leave this place I called home for almost 4 months...
But, alsways look on the bright side of life, I still have 3 weeks. I will go snorkling on Moreton Island to see the ship wrecks, I'll stop over in Surfers Paradise & Byron bay to enjoy some surfing and laid back beachlife to end up where I started: Sydney. the city where it all began...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tania :)
    I stumbled on your blog when someone told me what MATE means in Australia and your blog was one of the Google results containing the explanation.
    How about that, I was born here in Asustralia and not until today had I ever heard that before!
    It took a Belguian to enlighten me!
    So..... I Hope you dont mind, but I read the rest of your entire blog of your Australian holiday. It sounds like you had a real blast here! :)
    Many of the things you experienced I have too and The Great Ocean rd being one of my favourite places.
    It was very interesting to feel your experiences from your point of view I had fun with you and was disappointewd with you when you had to leave.
    But in true Tania certainty you always looked on the bright side and were very positive about your next experience even as you were leaving one of your "Loves" behind.
    We have just had Anzac Day and your description was spot on and it made me proud to be an Aussie. Thank you for taking the time to learn about the Anzacs.
    Wherever this message finds you now, I wish you much blessing and Love from Australia.
    Remember something.... for every new place you discover and fall in love with, no doubt you have some of their love with you too.
    Peace
    Tony

    ReplyDelete