Sunday 18 April 2010

Do as Dundee

Darwin, the town of Crocodile Dundee or background to the recent movie Australia.
Known as 'the top end' of the Northern Territory.
It's hot, it's humid; it's tropical. Once I get out of the shower and leave the aircon room I'm sweating again.
My hair gets frizzy from the humidity and the heat slows me down.
Right now we're at the end of the wet season here. Soon the dry season will start which is the busiest season in this part of Australia.

Darwin itself is not that special. In the 70's there was a hurricane and wiped out everything. They rebuilt some of the buildings but still, everything you see here is not older than 40 years. Buildings that is :)
The aboriginals have been here longer of course. Though they have only been recognized as 'Australian citizens' since 1972. Not even 40 years.

Australia... A home away from home. I love it here, as you probably figured after reading my blog.
Only 1 month and 2 days before I have to fly back to reality. It makes me sad when I think about leaving Oz.
I could live here easily. Well, not in Darwin because it's too humid but I wouldn't mind settling in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide or maybe Brisbane, where I will fly to tomorrow.

I can't believe these 3 months went by so fast... I have seen so much beauty and I have learned so much from life. You could say I did a trimester on the University of L.I.F.E. :)
Some people asked me: What do you miss about Belgium? After long consideration I'd have to say: Belgian Chocolate :)
Of course I miss my friends and family from time to time, but thanks to the internet it's not that bad.
What else? My bed & bedroom. I've got quite used  to living in hostels now, sharing rooms. But sometimes I wish I just have a double bed & my own room. Just for one night.
Maybe I do miss Antwerp too, just a little bit. You know on a warm day in the spring or the summer when you can go out and have a drink with friends.
But then again, here in Australia you live outside most of the time anyways :)
Everywhere you see barbies (and i'm talking about the BBQ not the doll). It's great to be able to enjoy the oudside so much. I don't think I ever had a tan like this either.
Not from sunbathing on a beach. I've only been to the beach 6 times in 3 months! But just being outside a lot. Even my hair turned darkblond!

For this last month i'm gonna try to find a volunteer job in a wildlife centre. Maybe it's the maternal feeling inside of me but I really wanna take care of koala's, kangaroos, crocodiles, snakes, ...
So hopefully I'll find a place where I can help out. That would be a good closure to my journey. 

Big koala cuddles for you all,
Tania Dundee

1 comment: