Thursday 13 May 2010

Off to paradise...

Today was my last day in Brisbane... I could easily move from A (Antwerp) to B (Brisbane).
But, at least for now, I can't. In one week I'll be on the plane to go and see my Brother for the weekend.
I'll go from 25°C in Brisbane to 20° in Sydney to 45° in Dubai to... 9° in Belgium???
Painfull thought.
Right now I'm sitting next to the lit up pool overlooking the lights of the Brisbane CBD and I can feel nothing but gratitude for this very moment.
I don't need much to be happy, something that became even more clearly on this trip
Give me a smile and a little bit of sunshine. That's all it takes for me to be satisfied. Everything extra is a bonus.

Brisbane... another city where I lost my heart. A lot of people think Brisbane's boring because it's not like Sydney or Melbourne, other people think it's too far away from the beach. But I, I love it.
I know I should never compare places, but I think Brisbane might be the new Antwerp. Not the biggest city in Belgium, but a great vibe. Not near a beach but with a nice river.

A little outside the city is the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary. The place I was hoping to do some volunteer work with wildlife. But unfortunately the volunteer jobs are full untill the end of the year.
So on Monday I went there, by myself, to finally see the koala's. After travelling through Australia & New Zealand the last 4 months I saw many animals in the wild, but no koala's.
Why? Because they are endangered. Only 20% of the koala population is left and it's still decreasing. Which is sad because they are sooo cute!
 I got to hold a fluffy female koala who just loved her gumtree (eucalyptus) leaves like I love my chocolate :)
I also got to hold a 2,5 meter Olive Python :)
What else was there? A platypus (looks like a flat duck), wombats, crocodiles, kangaroos, wallabies, prey birds, sheep dogs and sheep, dingo, ...
I loved it. I also loved the slogan they had: "The earth is not for humans alone"

Tomorrow I'll be taking the train to paradise, Surfers Paradise to be  precise :) The white sandy beaches of the Gold Coast with the bronzed bodies of Surfers... Me like :)
Being a beachbum for the last time, maybe even taking a surflesson from a hot surfteacher (with or without the stripes) before flying out to Sydney...

Tania the beachbum

No comments:

Post a Comment