Thursday 6 May 2010

Excess baggage

Excess baggage is a term that can either be used literally or figuratively.
I suffered from both. My luggage was already too heavy when I left Belgium and so were my emotions.
I didn't know what to pack for four months of travelling and I didn't know what emotions to leave in the past as well. So I dragged my excess baggage with me.
But along the road, I started to get rid of little unimportant things, one at a time, to make my baggage lighter.

Now, almost 4 months later, I can say that I have left a lot of that excess baggage behind. Every new place I went to, every new stranger I would meet took a little piece of my excess baggage, and made life lighter for me.
The newly created space (either in my suitcase or my mind) has made room for souvenirs and priceless memories. Much more fullfilling but much lighter than my previous excess baggage.
It's like I reorganised not only my suitcase but also my mind. I can see things more clearly now. What I want and what I don't want in life.
My biggest fear now is, can I keep this up when I get back home? Will I tumble back in the old bad habbits and routines? Because, face it, our country is so small and even for only 10 million people, the governement can't compromise.
That's not a good example. Maybe policitians ought to travel a little bit more too. Not to the luxurious spa's but 'down to earth' travels, and speak to locals to get ideas on how things are done all over the world. Than come back to Belgium and see what is best for our country.

Enough politics now. Today in exactly two weeks, I'll be leaving Australia and my excess baggage behind and reclaim my life. :)

P.S.: The picture is me bathing Buddha on his birthday with fragrant water that smells like roses. You bathe the little Buddha by pooring the water over his left  schoulder 3 times. This gives you inner peace and brings peace into the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment