Friday 29 January 2010

Let's put another cockroach on the barbie!

To Travel: To go from one place to another, as on a trip; journey.

This morning I checked out of the Glenferrie Lodge in Kirribilli. A nice quiet place. A place I could see myself living.
I was on my way again. I took the ferry to 'the mainland' and needed to get a bus to get to Surry Hills. Where my next backpack hostel would be.
I must say, all busdrivers I have met while being in Australia are so friendly and helpfull. The driver would tell me where to  get off to go to South Dowling street.
I sat on the bus next to an older woman also with a suitcase.
She asked me where I was from.
I told her: Belgium.
'Oh my, you are many miles away from home' she said.
I said: 'Yep... I just arrived two days ago and will stay here for 4 months'
She told me she was from New Zealand and I told her how much i wanted to go there too, but had no clue where to begin.
After talking to her on our short busride, she wrote down her address. She told me to call her if I was planning on going to New Zealand and she would pick me up from the airport. I could stay at her place and she would show me the North of New Zealand.
I just cannot believe how friendly people are down under. It still amazes me...  A lesson we could all learn.

With a smile on my face, i got off the bus  to get to my hostel. As I walked down the street,  I noticed the neighbourhood was not the nicest. Well, the houses look allright but the people are a bit weird.
Anyway, I got to the hostel.
A friendly guy welcomed me. As soon i was checked in he showed me around. The bathrooms are old but relatively clean. The kitchen area was messy (I know you are probably thinking I'm messy too, but this was different) It was all hostellike, kinda like I could expect.
But then.... I got to my room.... The rooms are soooo dirty. I don't think they have been cleaned for months. Seriously. And, as I looked up, what was supposed to be the ceiling above my bed, I saw this huge cockroach! I'm not even exaggerating. This thing was huge, and staring at me... I could start to scream. I mean, I love animals, but I hate, HATE, bugs. Especially the cockroaches.
( I know my mom would not sleep for weeks when she would see this place)
I immediatly left the place and came to Mc Donalds (because every  Mc Do in the world has free wifi) to look for another place to stay.
I know I probably won't get any refund from the Kangaroo bakpak. But choosing on sleeping with the cockroach in my room or loosing money over this... I made up my mind quickly. I'm not staying there, not even a night!
I mean, I slept in dodgy places, with bugs and stuff, but at least the sheets and stuff were clean.
So yes, I guess I have reached my limit about how 'cheap' I wanna go. And I am  too good to sleep with a cockroach! :)

For those curious about my roommate, here a nice picture. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. "And I am too good to sleep with a cockroach! :)"

    Hahaha, super!

    Found another place?

    ReplyDelete